2019-09-18

All good things must come to an end (TNG) ... and a new beginning

The conclusion on my adventures with the Malaguti Spidermax
and the next chapter with the
HoSiWi blog

If you want to find out about the cheapest and most effective way to make your scooter accelerate much better, then scroll all the way down until you find the first posting with ➤➤➤, read, scroll up until the next identical marked post and repeat until you are here again.


As I mentioned in my Malaguti Spidermax RS - log the last posting down the bottom: Piston rings, my Spidermax RS with just 18000KM died because of the well known failure for a particular time period when the 500 MASTER engine changed from 460cc to 500cc and certain parts like original rollers went from strudy, reliable and long living to really low quality crap what actually could break (pictures here in the blog) and also low quality piston and piston rings.
Everything with a Piaggio engine I mistrusted now especially after I read an insider report what major cost cutting is going on by Piaggio.
If you think Boeing, you are in the right ball park.
With this move you lost a customer for live Piaggio.
....
Now I could get a kit with a new cylinder, new piston, new rings for around 250 Euro at some aftermarket dealer. I would have to dismantle the bike and open up the engine. 
A major job where I just do not have the place, knowledge (I got all the manuals how to do this) and I do not know any place what might want to work with this exotic bike. I also read that this kind of engine failure cost between 2 to 3000 Euro depending on the place where you have it fixed (and they normally take the expensive original parts).   
Option 2 would be just swap the motor / CVT from the GT to the RS, since after 75000 km the engine is still in top shape (see the endoscope pictures from inside both the RS and the GT). But I made a mistake when storing the RS for a few years, I drove her to the resting place nearly with a dry tank. Result: the gas pump to supply the injector stopped working (needs to be submerged or if freezes in place). The GT cranks and turns with sparks on the plug and the usual 2 second gas  injection primer. But I could not get her to run without a working pump. No problem I borrow for the test the one from the GT.
So I took off all the plastic parts from the RS go have everything ready for a transplant. Took quite a while because some rusted parts were fighting back until they broke or had to be drilled out or flexed off.
I could still not reach the gas pump it needed some more work and the easy snap on / snap off gas line connectors refused the snapping off. And before breaking off occurred I quit.
There were too many what if questions piling up what I could not get an answer to, so I decided to think before doing more work.
My fear was what if the RS what would have been fixed one way or the other would bring me more trouble?

So the money is tight as with most people and I could either put my money in one of the options mentioning above or go a third way.
I am searching for a nice new maxi scooter in the 500cc range 

This concludes for now the Malaguti Spidermax blog, it was quite a wild ride.
I will continue my journey with the HoSiWi blog
What is a HoSiWi? It is faster to type than Honda Silver Wing and HSW was already taken...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to talk to me, use the comments box at the end of the post. No need to register or log in. If you use a name it is easier to answer to you.